Welcome to Ooka Island! Ooka Island program is an interactive adventure that provides the opportunity for children to become confident readers. These
Island program and any entity within the program including the Parent Lighthouse, website, or the program itself.
on behalf of which an individual is accessing the program. Additionally, you, as an individual, agree not to access the program on behalf of any other
program or certain features of the program, you may be required to register as a “user” of the program and confirm your acceptance of these Terms of
place a checkmark in the “I Agree” box and discontinue using the program.
- Please note, certain services and activities available through the program may require you to agree to further terms and conditions. Any such terms
- When signing up to access certain features of the program or participate in certain activities, you warrant that any information you provide about
yourself is true and that you agree to maintain and promptly update such information to keep it true and current.
- By using the program, you represent and warrant that:
If you do not have the capacity to enter into a legal agreement in the province, state, territory or country in which you reside, do not use the
of the program.
- You have the capacity to enter into a legal agreement in the province, state, territory or country in which you reside;
- Your use of the program will not violate any applicable law or regulation in the province, state, territory or country in which you reside.
program assigned to you.
- Ooka Island reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to change or modify the program from time to time including but not limited adding
or removing functionality or features or changing its name.
- “General Content” means all text, information, data, ideas, links, emails, other messages, chat, postings, code, software, music
(including lyrics), sound recordings, videos, other audiovisual works, performances, photographs, pictures, artwork, graphics, video, files,
usernames, user profiles, or other materials accessible on the program.
- General Content is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such General Content originated. Ooka Island will use reasonable efforts to
verify the accuracy of any General Content that is posted to any aspect of the program, but we do not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality
of the General Content that we posts or does not post to the program. Before using or relying on any General Content, you should take reasonable
steps to verify its accuracy, completeness or usefulness: you are using it at your own risk.
- You may make or retain a single printed copy of the individual web pages appearing as part of the program solely for your personal, non-commercial
use or records, provided that any proprietary rights notices, marks, logos or other legends that appear on the screens are not removed from the
printed copies of the web pages. You may not make any other copies of the General Content or use the General Content for any other purpose. You may
not modify, publish, display, transmit, adapt or in any way exploit any item of General Content that you did not contribute to the program, without
the express prior permission of the contributor of that item. Otherwise, all rights in and to any item of General Content are reserved by the
contributor of that item.
- Ooka Island, in its sole discretion, may change the General Content from time to time.
- You agree not to use any crawler, spider, bot or other program to extract (in whole or in part) any General Content accessible on or via the
program. You agree not to circumvent any technical measures put in place by Ooka Island to prevent such activities.
- You agree not to frame any page forming part of the program.
4. Submitting Content
- Additionally, you, and not Ooka Island, are fully responsible for all General Content that you make accessible on or via the program. You represent,
warrant and covenant that you have now and that you will continue to have all necessary rights and authority to grant any licenses in or to such
General Content and that such General Content will not infringe any proprietary right of any third party. You also warrant that any “moral rights”
in posted materials have been waived and that Ooka Island may rely on those waivers.
- By submitting, posting, uploading, embedding or sending General Content to Ooka Island or otherwise making General Content available for display on
or through the program, you grant Ooka Island the royalty-free, unrestricted, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully
sub-licensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display
such General Content (in whole or part) and to incorporate it in other works in each case irrespective of the form, media, or technology used.
- You agree that you will not use the program to upload, post, email, otherwise transmit or post links to any General Content that:
- is illegal, encourages or advocates illegal activity or in unlawful;
- is pornographic or otherwise sexually explicit;
- is harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, belous, invasive of privacy or publicity
rights, hateful (racially, sexually, ethnically or otherwise) or victimizes, harasses, degrades, or intimidates an individual or group of individuals on
the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age or disability;
- is intended to market, advertise or offer for sale any product or services or solicits others for donations or contributions;
- is disruptive or destructive to the program or Ooka Island including but not limited to General Content intended to incite violent,
emotional disagreements amongst some or all of the users of the program and General Content that is openly hostile to some or all of the users of the
- contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to or which may interrupt, destroy or limit the
functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment or any other similarly destructive activity;
- you are prohibited from disclosing to the public under any law or regulation or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such
as inside information, or proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure
- infringes or contributes to the infringement of any intellectual property, industrial or other proprietary rights, protected or
protectable, under the laws of Canada, any foreign country, or any political subdivision of any country, including, without limitation, all copyrights,
moral rights (including rights of attribution and rights of integrity), trademarks, service marks, trade names, logos, brand names and other
identifiers, trade secrets of any party.
- You should maintain a backup copy of any General Content that you make available through the program. In any event, Ooka Island will not provide a copy
of that General Content to you. Ooka Island is not responsible for General Content that is lost or destroyed for any reason.
- A submission of General Content is “solicited” if Ooka Island expressly requests or enables you to provide it to Ooka Island for Ooka Island’s review
and Ooka Island expressly states that you may receive consideration or compensation for the General Content. Additionally, a submission of General
Content is “solicited” if you post it to any public forum on the program and are not seeking any consideration or compensation for it. All other
submission of General Content are “unsolicited”.
- You agree not to use the program to distribute or otherwise make available any unsolicited submissions of General Content, especially any unsolicited
submissions that include any concepts, pitches, suggestions, stories, screenplays, treatments, formats or characterizations. You acknowledge that Ooka
Island will not accept or consider unsolicited submissions of General Content; and if you make an unsolicited submission of General Content, you have no
expectation of review, compensation or consideration of any type.
- You agree that no submissions of General Content by you to Ooka Island are made in confidence or in trust.
5. Screening and Monitoring Content
- Ooka Island may but is not obliged to review General Content. Even if Ooka Island does so, the review may not be to your satisfaction. You
acknowledge this and the consequence that follows from it: content accessible on or via the program may include materials that are offensive or
otherwise objectionable to you.
- Ooka Island is not obliged but reserves the right to monitor some, all, or no areas of the program from time to time: (i) to verify adherence to
permitted by law.
- Ooka Island reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to reject, refuse to post, remove or block access to any General Content that is available
via or on the program at any time, without notice and without liability.
6. Links to Third Party Web Sites
- Ooka Island may provide via the program, or third parties may provide via the program, links to resources not forming part of the program. Ooka
Island has no control over such resources. You acknowledge and agree that Ooka Island is not responsible for the availability of such external
resources, and does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from
such resources. You further acknowledge and agree that Ooka Island will not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss
caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on or through any such
- Your correspondence or business dealings with, or participation in promotions of, advertisers or other third parties accessible on or via the
program, including payment and delivery of related goods or services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with
such dealings, are solely between you and such third parties. You agree that Ooka Island will not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage of
any sort incurred as the result of any such dealings or as the result of the presence of such advertisers on the program.
Ooka Island reserves the right to access, use, disclose and destroy all registration data or other data relation to how users and registered users use
Although Ooka Island has enacted certain safeguards to protect personal information being transmitted to or from the website in connection with any
purchase, Ooka Island does not guarantee the security of any such information transmitted to or from the website. Before using or relying on any means
of transmitting your personal information to Ooka Island, you should take reasonable steps to verify that the manner of transmission provides an
adequate degree of protection: you are using it at your own risk.
9. Communication Preferences
By using the Ooka Island program, you consent to receiving electronic communication from Ooka Island in relation to your account. Such communications may
involve sending emails to the email address you provided during your trial or subscription creation and will notify you about your account (e.g. change
in password or payment method, subscription receipt, payment authorizations, and other transactional information) and are part of your relationship with
Ooka Island. You also consent to receiving other communications from us such as child progress reports, milestones, marketing and/or promotional emails,
and customer surveys. If you no longer want to receive certain non-transactional communications, you may log onto your Parent Lighthouse account and
manage your email subscription preferences at anytime.
10. Subscriptions, Free Trials, Billing and Cancellation
You must provide us with a current, valid, accepted payment method to use Ooka Island.
- Ongoing Subscription
A monthly subscription to Ooka Island will continue month-to-month until you cancel your subscription or we
terminate it. You must cancel your subscription before it renews each month in order to avoid billing of the next month’s subscription fees.
An annual or two year subscription to Ooka Island will be a one time purchase and will not renew at the end of the year.
- Differing Subscription
Ooka Island may offer a number of subscriptions, including promotional
disclosed at the time of purchase or other communications to you. You can learn more about your subscription details by logging into your Parent
Lighthouse account. We reserve the right to modify, terminate, or amend our offered subscriptions.
- Free Trials
Your Ooka Island subscription may begin with a free trial. The free trial period of your subscription
lasts for the first level of the program, or as otherwise specified during sign-up. Free trials are for new and expired account holders
only. Ooka Island reserves the right to determine your free trial ability.
Each account holder is only entitled to one trial license.
By starting your Ooka Island monthly subscription and providing an accepted payment method, you
authorize us to charge you a monthly subscription fee at the then current rate. You acknowledge that the amount billed each month may
vary for reasons that may include differing amounts due to promotional offers, and/or changing or adding a plan, and you authorize us
to charge you payment method for such varying amounts, which may be billed monthly in one or more charges.
The subscription fee for Ooka Island will be billed at the beginning of your subscription.
We reserve the right to change the timing of billing, in particular if your payment method was not successfully settled.
Monthly subscriptions will be billed each month thereafter until you cancel your subscription. We will automatically bill your
payment method each month on the day that your subscription began.
Annual subscriptions will only be billed at the beginning of your subscription. After the term of your subscription expires,
your account will expire and turn inactive. There will be no recurring payment.
No Refunds Payments are nonrefundable and there are no refund or credits for partially used periods.
Following any cancellation, however, you will continue to have access to Ooka Island until the end of your billing cycle. At any
time, for any reason, Ooka Island may provide a refund, discount, or credit consideration to some or all of our customers. This decision
is at the sole and absolute discretion of Ooka Island. Any instances of credits awarded does not entitle you to any future credits nor
obligate Ooka Island to provide any future credits.
Payment Methods At any time, you can edit your payment information by logging into your Parent Lighthouse account. If a payment
is not successfully completed, due to expiration, insufficient funds, or otherwise, you remain responsible for any uncollected amounts and authorize
us to continue billing the payment method. We may contact you to gather an updated payment method and will offer a grace period of seven days. If
you fail to update your payment after these seven days, you acknowledge that Ooka Island has the sole and absolute discretion to put your
subscription on hold. Which you can at any time update your payment method by logging into your parent account and continue the program where your
child left off last.
Cancellation At any time you may cancel your Ooka Island subscription, and will continue to have access to your account through
to the end of your monthly billing periods. We do not provide refunds or credits for any partial month subscriptions periods or account inactivity.
To cancel your subscription, login to your Parent Lighthouse account and submit our cancellation form.
11. Ooka Island Services
- Your subscription with Ooka Island is for personal and non commercial use. Your subscription to Ooka Island grants you a non-transferable,
limited license to access the program.
- We continually update the Ooka Island program including the Parent Lighthouse, pricing, service levels, user interfaces, subscription plans, and
the program itself. In addition to these updates, we continue to test such changes and reserve the right include you or exclude you from these
tests without notice. We reserve the right to make changes from time to time and without notice in how we operate and offer Ooka Island.
12. Passwords and Account Access
- The person who created the Ooka Island account and whose payment method is charged is referred to as the Account Owner. It is the account holder
that has control over the Ooka Island subscription. This control is exercised through the use of the their account owner’s password.
- As account holder, you are responsible for all activities conducted under that username and passwords, and you will take all necessary steps to
ensure that no one other than you uses that login information. The account owner should not reveal their password to anyone.
- If you have any reason to believe that any password assigned to you has become known to or been used by any other person, you will inform Ooka
- Ooka Island may, at any time, change any username or password assigned to you, and we will notify you with any changes.
13. Intellectual Property Infringement
14. Use of Information Submitted
Ooka Island is free to use any comments, information, ideas, concepts, reviews, or techniques or any other material contained in any
communication you may send to us. This includes any responses to surveys without further compensation, acknowledgement or payment to you for
any reason including, development, marketing, modifying or improving the Ooka Island program.
15. Customer Support
To find more information about our program and its features, or to get assistance with your subscription, please visit our Support Desk. In
The program and general content are provided “as is” and “as available,” without warranty or conditions of any kind, either express or
implied. Without limiting the preceding sentence, Ooka Island specifically disclaims all representations, warranties, covenants and
concerning the availability, accuracy, appropriateness, reliability, timeliness, usefulness, or otherwise of the general content; and (ii)
any warranty of title, non-infringement, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Without limiting the terms and conditions set out in the preceding paragraph, Ooka Island does not warrant that the program or any General Content:
- will be available at all times;
- will operate without errors;
- will be accessible regardless of the hardware or software that you wish to employ to access it;
- is secure, notwithstanding Ooka Island’s use of commercially reasonable efforts to secure it; or
- is free from viruses or other harmful codes, notwithstanding Ooka Island’s use of commercially reasonable efforts to identify and eliminate any such codes.
jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of certain implied warranties or limitations on how long an implied warranty may last. If any
you in connection with any breach of such a warranty will be subject to the following section entitled “Limitation of Liability”.
16. Limitation of liability
In no event will Ooka Island, its directors, employees, agents or suppliers, be liable for any special, incidental, consequential, punitive,
including without limitation, loss of revenues, loss of profits, business interruption or loss of data, even if Ooka Island has been advised
of the possibility of such damages by you or any other person.
In no event will Ooka Island be liable to you or any person with respect to damages incurred by reason of any services or goods received
through or advertised on the program or received through any links provided on the program.
Without limiting the terms and conditions set out in the preceding two paragraphs, the maximum amount of the cumulative liability of Ooka
Island (including its directors, employees, agents and suppliers) to you or any person, for all claims (including claims for direct damages)
The limitations set out in the preceding three paragraphs shall apply regardless of the cause or circumstance giving rise to the claim, even
if such a claim is based in equity, on breach of contract, including fundamental breach or failure of essential purpose, or on tort,
You acknowledge and agree that, regardless of any statute or law to the contrary, any claim or cause of action you may have arising from or
or be permanently barred.
You agree to indemnify Ooka Island, its directors, employees, agents and suppliers and hold them harmless from any and all liability, claims,
costs and expenses, including legal fees on a substantial indemnity basis, arising from or relating to your use or misuse of the program or
any General Content, or from any person’s use of any account or password you maintain in relation to the program, regardless of
to the program.
18. Term and Termination
earlier by Ooka Island.
Ooka Island Island reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to restrict, suspend or terminate your access to all or any part
possession for any purpose; and (ii) destroy any General Content in your possession.
rights accruing at or before or in conjunction with or after such termination, or to any remedies or proceedings with respect to such
19. General Terms and Conditions
replaces any and all prior or contemporaneous discussions, negotiations, understandings and agreements, written and oral, regarding its
subject matter. There are no representations, warranties, conditions, other agreements, or acknowledgements, whether direct or collateral,
No waiver or consent by Ooka Island of or to any breach in the performance or observance by you of any term, condition, covenant, agreement,
consent shall not constitute a consent to or waiver of any other or subsequent breach of such term, condition, covenant, agreement,
reason of any previous failure to enforce it.
to the extent permissible, and all other provisions shall remain in full force and effect.
applicable therein, without reference to conflict of laws provisions.
shall be sent to any email address or address that you provided to Ooka Island. Notices sent to Ooka Island shall be sent to Ooka Island at
the address then listed on the Contact Us page of the program. Notices sent by email shall be deemed received one business day following
transmission. Notices sent by courier shall be deemed received on the date delivered.
against any party merely because that party or its legal representative drafted the provision. All remedies are cumulative. Throughout these
all legal and equitable remedies against you.